Thursday, June 23, 2011

Network Manager Disappeared After Intalling Gnome 3 / No wireless

I installed openSUSE 11.4 from the Gnome Live CD (can someone vote to just call it SUSE? I mean, you got SLED, SLES - why the pay the extra syllable just 'cause it's free and open?).

 After that, I went to openSUSE and ran the 1-Click install for Gnome 3. Actually, I 1-clicked it about 5 times, because there is no indication that you clicked it, and it takes about 5-10 minutes to respond....

After installing and rebooting, I got the lovely Gnome 3 desktop. Much prefer the blue to the green, even if it looks fedora-ish. But the network manager was gone, and I couldn't connect wirelessly.

Going to the network settings gave me a "not compatible with this version of network services".

The solution turned out to be:
1.  In YAST, Network Settings, Global Options: The Gnome live switched me from Network Manager to ifup. Works fine on a desktop, not for a laptop.

2. Re-enable the Packman (community) repository. Apparently the 1-click removed that, or I didn't need it before Gnome 3 for wireless and I did afterwards. Not sure.

3. There were also a bunch of Gnome updates recently, including the network manager. None of which are helpful without step 1.












No comments: